Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Presidents Address to the Nation

Haven't Blogged in a while, but I hope to pick that up again now...


The presidents address to the nation on Tuesday, was a huge step in the progress of our nation. It brought a sense of finality to the Iraq War, and a sense of victory to the War in Afghanistan. As you can see from the beginning of his speech I posted above, he relates the war back to its origins, the 9/11 attacks. In doing so, I think he garnered the support of all those who still feel the pain they felt on that first day. He basically cornered the nation into an emotional sense that if they don't support the war, they don't care about what happened to them. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, this happened even to me, it just makes me chuckle a little to listen to the beginning of this speech and know right away that he was going to send more troops. Immediately he started to justifyhis decision, even before he announced it. But I do agree with his decision. The only way you could bring finality and a closure to the war, is to send in troops and finish what we started. I think this is a major downfall of the American people. We never want to finish what we start once it begins to get tough, once it begins to cost us something.
Unfortunately it is a bad character reference on our part, but hopefully we will continue to have the opportunity to fix it. In order for that to happen though, we all need to realize our mistakes. However much the president, or his cabinet or our congressmen want to fix it, the American people are the ultimate deciders, the ones who give the go ahead, and I think that most Americans haven’t realized what’s going on yet, and they probably wont until it is thrown right back in our faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment