Friday, December 11, 2009

The Most Wonderful Tme of the Year

"To know that once you decide to look at life outside of the narrow
limits of just your world and start to understand that you can make a difference
in very simple ways - in volunteering and all the way up to bigger world
problems."

Susan Sarandon

More and more, my topics seem to be straying from the theme posted at the top of my blog, however, I really cannot think of much that currently has much to do with politics, etc. But I am remembering the first post I ever posted, the one about the title, "red fish, blue fish, one fish, two fish." I couldn't think of a topic to write about but I began to think about the meaning of my blog- people, so I decided talking about the holiday season is not necessarily off topic, it is something that affects people all over the world and can make a huge difference in people's lives. And so, I will begin my journey on the human interest side of the world.
This time of the year is when we all hunker down in our holes to hibernate with family and friends, enjoying the cold winter air and the beautiful sparkling snow, not often thinking much about the people who maybe don’t have the same opportunities we do, especially here in America. Even our poorest are not as poor as the rest of the worlds poor. If you even own a car, not to mention two or three, you are automatically in the top ten or fifteen percent wealthiest people in the world. Although I say that we may not think of others this is not entirely true, the Christmas season is actually one of the most giving. It’s one of the times we actually do think of other people. I guess what I mean is, that although we drop our change in those bright red Salvation Army Buckets almost as soon as we hear the bells ringing in our ears, we still have a tendency to not really fully understand the privileges we really do have.
Unfortunately I am one of these thoughtless people who tend to drop a few pennies in the bucket, or donate my clothes to my local Goodwill, and yet, I still never really think about what I could do. What do I specifically have to help people out? Maybe nothing really, but it seems that we all have to have something to give, not money or our old clothes, but what about our time? our talents? These are the things I seem to hoard over the holidays. Although I may not really see myself as talented, maybe someone else does, maybe they are the ones who might actually think I am funny. Or maybe they are the ones who would enjoy beating me in chess. Who knows? I guess I will just have to find out…
I guess that’s all I really have to say for right now. I’m not really sure what I was trying to say, maybe that we all have something more to give than spare change. I hope that we all find somewhere to give, give more than we’ve been giving. Who knows, maybe we’ll meet at a shelter somewhere…

Here's some info from my local hospital about volunteering:

There are many reasons why St. Luke's Hospital has such a strong corps of volunteers. Some volunteer because they meet new friends and feel connected to the community. Others want to be connected to a healthcare environment to explore careers and learn new skills. Many find fulfillment in giving of their expertise for the good of others.
For more than 50 years, St. Luke's Hospital has attracted volunteers from all walks of life. There is room for more volunteers ages 14 years and up. Contact us to find out how you can join the St. Luke's Hospital volunteer program.
Who Volunteers?

  • High School and College Students
  • Adults of all ages and walks of life
  • Couples
  • Families
  • Those seeking on-the-job experience - a perfect "building block" on any resume or a good start to a career in healthcare.
  • Those seeking careers in healthcare - great experience before you declare a major in the field.
  • Retirees - stay active and share your knowledge, compassion and experience.

For additional information, please call 319/369-7213.

No comments:

Post a Comment